The Association of Singapore Marine Industries (ASMI) is a non-profit trade association set up in 1968 to champion and develop the local ship repair and shipbuilding industry. The Association has grown and transformed itself over the last 45 years and broadened its representation to encompass a wider spectrum of marine and offshore related businesses.
Today, ASMI is the nucleus for the promotion of the Singapore ship repair, shipbuilding, rigbuilding and offshore engineering sectors. The Association plays an important role in unifying industry players towards shared objectives as well as in directing industry resources towards achieving common goals.
Mission & Objectives
The mission of ASMI is to promote the interests and advancement of the Singapore marine and offshore engineering industry.
Its objectives are:
- To represent and promote the interests of the Association’s members and the marine industry in Singapore and overseas.
- To foster closer cooperation among members, and between ASMI and affiliated organisations in Singapore and internationally.
- To promote regular programmes to improve productivity, technology, skills upgrading, and safety, health and environmental standards in the marine industry.
- To maintain closer relations with the government and statutory boards through direct representations and regular dialogues on matters affecting the industry.
ASMI represents a wide cross-section of the comprehensive ecosystem that makes up the Singapore ship repair, shipbuilding, rigbuilding and offshore engineering industry. Its members include shipyards, manufacturers and suppliers of marine & offshore equipment and products, marine & offshore engineering companies, marine design, consultancy, survey and inspection companies, marine contractors as well as other businesses whose activities are directly related to the marine industry.
ASMI’s main roles are:
- To enhance the knowledge and skills of the marine workforce;
- To promote the collective interests of the marine and offshore engineering industry; and
- To link up and integrate the marine and offshore engineering industry.
The Association’s activities include the following:
- Organises seminars and forums to disseminate, update and share information on regulations, practices and schemes
- Conducts workshops to enhance knowledge and competencies
- Coordinates industry-wide initiatives to improve productivity and build capabilities
- Organises and conducts training courses to train and upskill the marine workforce
- Administers skills assessment schemes to certify workers’ skills standards
- Administers scholarship schemes to attract talents into the industry
- Develops industry generic guidelines to set minimum standards for the industry
- Publishes manuals and guides to provide reference and guidance to its members
- Organises participation in trade fairs to promote industry and members’ capabilities, technologies and products
- Organises business missions to help members access markets and develop business leads
- Holds dialogues with government bodies, marine-related organisations and industry partners to promote the collective interests of the industry
- Publishes newsletters, annual reports, directories and other publications to broadcast information, disseminate news and updates on the industry
- Organises outreach programmes to create awareness and enhance the image of the industry
- Organises social activities to create networking opportunities and enhance business cooperation
- Organises friendly competitions and sports tournaments to build rapport and camaraderie among members
Association of Singapore Marine Industries
30 Tuas Ave 10
#07-01 Freight Links E-Logistics Technopark
Tel: +65 6863 3038
Fax: +65 6863 2881